Ardfinnan

Ardfinnan
This is the village where I live

Friday, May 24, 2013

Patrick Kavanagh Irish Poet (1904-1967)



Memory of My Father



Every old man I see
Reminds me of my father
When he had fallen in love with death
One time when sheaves were gathered.

That man I saw in Gardiner Street
Stumble on the kerb was one,
He stared at me half-eyed,
I might have been his son. 

And I remember the musician
Faltering over his fiddle
In Bayswater, London.
He too set me the riddle. 

Every old man I see
In October-coloured weather
Seems to say to me
"I was once your father."
-Patrick Kavanagh
Copyright © Estate of Katherine Kavanagh
 
Patrick Kavanagh in O'Brien's bar, Dublin
 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Christine,

    Thank you for your comment on my blog a bit ago...Your photos are stunning, and I appreciate the sentiment of the poem as well.

    ReplyDelete